Warren was born and raised in Vancouver, but flew the coop at a young age landing on Vancouver Island, in London, Ontario and Los Angeles, California. Warren returned to his hometown in 1996 to begin his law career. Warren’s experience includes both private practice and in-house counsel at a large public company in the technology sector. Warren is a third generation British Columbia lawyer as both his father (George) and grandfather (Charles) practised law in Vancouver.
Warren has a broad business law practice but focuses on corporate/commercial and real estate law, and energy and natural resources matters. Warren’s clients include local and international businesses, entrepreneurs, project developers and First Nations.
- Counsel for a group of First Nations in a purchase of a remote wildlife viewing lodge.
- British Columbia counsel for a major national retailer advising on commercial and real estate matters.
Counsel for a major technology company on corporate and real estate matters.
- Counsel for various First Nations advising on business matters including corporate structure, land use, project development, carbon offsets, forestry and structuring commercial opportunities in their traditional territories.
- Counsel for various developers of renewable energy projects (e.g., wind, hydro, geothermal and biogas) and related commercial and regulatory matters.
- Advising on acquisitions, dispositions, financing and leasing of commercial real estate, including office buildings, industrial lands, shopping centres, retail developments, apartment buildings, hotels, golf courses and marinas.
- Acting for real estate developers of commercial, residential and mixed-use projects.
- Acting for both landlords and tenants on office, retail, shopping centre and industrial leases.
- Advising on general real estate matters, including title, zoning, subdivision and strata property issues.
- Advising local and international companies on energy and natural resource matters including regulation and compliance, project development and financing, purchases and sales, transmission interconnection agreements, carbon offsets (development and sales), forest licenses, and liquified natural gas business.
- Acting for buyers and sellers of small, medium and large sized businesses, on both asset and share purchase transactions including cross-border and international transactions.
Education & Industry Involvement
Warren obtained his Juris Doctor (J.D.) from Whittier College School of Law (Los Angeles, CA).
He earned his California bar license in 1996 and was called to the Bar in British Columbia in 1998.
In 2009, Warren was appointed to the BC Government Green Energy Advisory Task Force (2009) Read Report
Warren is a current member of:
- Canadian Bar Association (Natural Resources and Real Estate Group subsections)
- Clean Energy Association of British Columbia
- Canadian Geothermal Energy Association
- UBC Faculty & Staff
- Various energy industry investors
Warren has make presentations to:
- BC Professional Legal Training Course
- Lorman Education Services
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC
In the News
Warren is an occasional commentator in local and national media on energy and business matters concerning British Columbia.
- Vancouver Sun “Pacific NorthWest LNG mega-project is dead, but B.C.’s LNG dream lives on” (July 29, 2017) Read Article
- Financial Post “ Canada to move ahead with oil tanker ban on northern B.C. coast, crushing Northern Gateway hopes” (November 13, 2015) Read Article
- Financial Post “First Nations LNG deals with B.C. will help in making final investment decisions, industry says” (May 11, 2015) Read Article
Warren shares his life with his wife, son and Australian shepherd. Like David Martin, Warren rolled up his sleeves at Expo 86 scooping ice cream for the masses. He is an avid home cook and keen sports fan, and can be found driving the I-5 for Seahawks home games. Warren enjoys new challenges and takes pride in his role as trusted advisor to his clients.